Tag Archives: additional living expenses

Is Your House Vulnerable to Ruin?

Keep stable during shaky times with earthquake insurance in Westlake Village, CA.

In an area prone to earthquakes, very few people have earthquake insurance. Only 17 percent of Californians have an insurance policy that covers earthquake damage. In this area, earthquakes are a yearly occurrence and are one of the natural disasters to destroy houses and neighborhoods within minutes. Homes can be torn apart to the point of total devastation and homeowners can face extreme losses, both physically and financially. Earthquake insurance is designed to protect your assets during an earthquake, and if the home or possessions were to be damaged, to cover the replacement and rebuilding expenses. So why is there such a lack of coverage?

Unfortunately, earthquake coverage in the 1990’s has given the insurance type a bad rep. The coverage was very bare-bones and was typically limited to $5,000 in damages. Meaning that in the 1994 Northridge earthquake, if a home’s roof had been ripped off, $5,000 was not going to help the homeowners greatly. If you have fallen victim to this circumstance, we understand how important it is that you receive proper and full insurance now.

Luckily, modern insurance is different! Coverage is more expansive, affordable, and protective. Earthquake coverage can range from protecting the basics, to covering your garage and contents, and additional living expenses if you need temporary housing while your home is being repaired.

Taking effect on January 1, 2016, there will be new options for earthquake coverage including higher policy limits, deductible options, and mitigation discounts. If you own a home in California, an earthquake is an extremely likely disaster to face. Take a step into the major safety net that is earthquake insurance by contacting Cappuccino Insurance Agency in Westlake Village, CA.


Moving This Spring? Make Sure To Invest In The Right Insurance

Renter’s Insurance Coverage

Spring is the perfect time to find a new place to rent. No matter if you are searching for an apartment or a house to rent, you should also start looking for the right renter’s insurance policy to ensure that your new home is properly protected in case of any disaster.

Typical renter’s insurance policies have three main coverage options, including:

  • Personal property coverage – the insurance policy that your landlord has for your home will only provide coverage for the structure, not for any of your personal belongings that you keep inside. The personal property coverage that is provided by a renter’s insurance policy will provide protection in case your assets are stolen, damaged, or destroyed by a covered peril, such as a fire. If you have any valuable belongings, you may want to consider scheduling the items within your policy, which will provide additional coverage.
  • Liability coverage – the liability portion of your renter’s insurance will provide protection in case someone is injured while visiting your home. It will cover any legal expenses if they decide to sue you after the accident, as well as any medical bills that are associated with the accident. If you do not have liability coverage, your assets and savings may be put at risk after someone is injured at your home.
  • Coverage for additional living expenses – if your rental home is uninhabitable after a disaster, additional living expensive coverage will pay for a temporary living situation, such as if you have to move into a hotel. The coverage will also pay for any additional costs that are associated with having to move out, such as restaurant bills if you do not have a kitchen to cook in.

For all of your renter’s insurance needs when finding the perfect Conejo Valley home this spring, contact Cappuccino Insurance Agency in Westlake Village, California.